State of the World's Mothers 2012
Niger is the world’s worst place to become a mother, according to the State of the World’s Mothers 2012, an annual report from Save the Children ranking the best and worst places to be a mother. This year’s report focuses on “Nutrition in the First 1,000 Days”.
Both mothers and babies face a range of obstacles to their survival and wellbeing in Niger, such as:
- high risk of maternal death due to the lack of basic medical care
- poor access to contraception
- child malnutrition and illness
- low primary school enrolment
- low economic opportunity for women
Compounding these issues is the deepening humanitarian crisis as a result of crop failures and high food prices as many are struggling to feed their families.
Let’s celebrate Mother’s Day by praying for mothers everywhere!